Handschuhsheim erkunden

Historische Orte im Stadtteil
AudioguideDeutsch AudioguideDeutsch Flag UK



Handschuhsheim was an independent community until 1903, when it was incorporated into Heidelberg. Until 1902, this building was the town hall used by the community. It was built in 1877/78 in the centre of the village and near to one of its predecessor town halls in an impressive Renaissance style. This fine building might seem rather grand for a community that was essentially a farming village, but it seems that money was readily available from French reparation payments after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870/71.

Old Town Hall in 2016 (Photo: Grob)

Until 1930, the building was used for administrative purposes by the town of Heidelberg. In the entrance, there is a war memorial for the fallen of the Franco-Prussian war of 1870/71.

image002War memorial (photo: Jung)

There is a grand vestibule and staircase.

Foyer with staircase (photo: Jung)

In a mezzanine, there was a prison with two cells. The upper floor houses the former official rooms and citzens’ hall, used today by different associations in Handschuhsheim for meeting or practice rooms and also for events.

The Fountain Pen Museum in the Old Town Hall

For many years, the vehicle hall on the ground floor was used by the Voluntary Fire Brigade in Handschuhsheim. To pay homage to the fountain pen industry that flourished in Handschuhsheim at the beginning of the 20th century, the citizens’ association in Handschuhsheim (Stadtteilverein Handschuhsheim e.V.) set about converting the former vehicle hall into a fountain pen museum, and also into a location for small cultural events. The town of Heidelberg agreed to provide the financial means for the conversion of the hall. Thanks to several sponsors and donations from the public, the citizens‘ association was able to finance the interior fittings of the museum.

The Fountain Pen Museum was officially opened in November 2016. It houses the private collection of Mr. Thomas Neureither, who is the curator on behalf of the citizens’ association and responsible for organising the exhibitions.

Interior view of the museum (photo: Tiefburg archives)

Fountain pen expert Thomas Neureither welcomes visitors to the museum every second and fourth Sunday in the month from 3 pm to 5 pm. Private tours upon agreement: Diese E-Mail-Adresse ist vor Spambots geschützt! Zur Anzeige muss JavaScript eingeschaltet sein.. The entrance is through a large door in Mittlere Kirchgasse.

Workshop“ in the Fountain Pen Museum (photo: Tiefburg archives)

Thomas Neureither, fountain pen expert (photo: Tiefburg archives)